Us cyclists need fuel. We pedal around everywhere so we deserve to treat ourselves with some delicious food. Luckily today is pancake day and there is nothing better than pancakes. If you're like us, every pancake day we vow that they taste so good that we will make them again - every weekend. But another year passes and the pancake pan is still at the back of the cupboard. We thought we'd hunt out some pancakes that really are worth battering on with.
This year we decided to test out paleo pancakes. Admittedly we can't imagine that those cavemen were really all standing around an open fire in the Serengeti laughing at each others' tossing action but the idea of flour free protein rich pancakes intrigued us so we thought we would give it a go.
We have been busy in the kitchen testing out the best paleo pancake recipes and we thought we'd share our favourite so you can try it tonight.. and perhaps every other night for the rest of the year....
The recipe is adapted from one from www.civilisedcavemancooking.com.
3 large eggs
125ml of full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon organic honey
1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1250 grams of coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
A generous handful of fresh blueberries or chocolate chips
1. Whisk eggs then add in the wet ingredients.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients.
3. Gradually whisk in the wet ingredients to the flour mix.
4. Heat up your pan with a spoon of coconut oil, once hot add a ladle of the batter mix. As these are thicker fluffy pancakes let them cook until they are solid enough to flip.
5. Serve with some honey or some peanut butter.
6. Enjoy & vow to cook it again tomorrow!
Going traditional... There is nothing crepe about the classic. Sorry - forgive us...
Here's the ingredients for your shopping basket.
100g plain flour
300ml of semi skimmed milk
1tbsp of coconut oil.
You know what to do next. It's as easy as 1,2,3 toss! Enjoy!